Sunday, May 20, 2012

crispy red pepper chickpea burgers

I may blog and cook sporadically, but when I do both, I try to make them good.

Enter these burgers.

What feels like centuries since I said, "I'm going to attempt to make a crispy chickpea burger" has finally turned into a reality.

And, don't you just love it when it actually turns out?!

It might have been the nice weather in combination with the long weekend, but I finally made it happen.

The stupid thing is, these burgers are ridiculously easy to make. I could have made thousands upon thousands of different chickpea burgers in the time I spent contemplating whether I should do it or not.

Lesson learned.

Crispy Red Pepper Chickpea Burgers

by Char
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 - 20 minutes








Ingredients (3 large patties, 4 -5 small patties)
  • 2 cups precooked chickpeas
  • ¾ red pepper, cut into chunks
  • ¼ - ½ cup sweet onion, in chunks
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • salt and pepper
  • ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400C.
2. Blend all ingredients but the breadcrumbs in a food processor until almost everything is pureed.
3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, then add in breadcrumbs.
4. Mix together, and shape into the patties.
5. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway, and sprinkling with olive oil again, to increase the crispiness of the burger.
7. Enjoy!

*Note: If barbecuing, reduce the breadcrumbs by a bit, since they get somewhat crumbly in the oven, and reducing will help to not dry them out as much.

Powered by Recipage


Before baked, they looked like a salmon burger to me.


And after baking, they looked like a chicken burger.


But, sans chicken or salmon, of course!

They were absolutely delicious despite the simple ingredient list. Sometimes I find that the simplest recipes actually work the best. It's when you start complicating things that you get a flop!

We (the hubby and I) paired our burgers with mashed avocado (with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper), sliced tomatoes and sunflower sprouts. I'd also suggest a good sprouted grain bun as an option, as well!


My only complaint was that I didn't double the recipe. Since I chose to make 3 big patties, versus more smaller ones.


I seriously don't think you can ever have too many veggies topped on anything. Period.

Happy Long Weekend to everyone. I hope your weather is an perfect as where I am, and enjoy every bite of these burgers. I know I did ;)