Friday, February 24, 2012

artichoke hummus

There was once a time where I was an avid hummus buyer. I would buy my overpriced tub of hummus because it tasted so good.

Sometimes, I would hold off on buying it just in case it went on sale. And then when it never did, I would buy it anyways. After all, good hummus deserves to be in my belly.


Besides, if I never bought the overpriced, delicious hummus, then what other hummus would I eat? I couldn't just go without hummus...what kind of world would that be?! That's until I discovered making your own hummus (read: I finally realized that it really is that easy to make your own).



It's actually the overpriced hummus's fault for being so overpriced that lead to my hummus-making abilities. I bet it wishes it would have lowered its price a little because, unfortunately, we probably won't be seeing each other for a while now. Unless it vows to drop its price to 1/2 off.

Artichoke Hummus

by Char
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups precooked chickpeas
  • 3/4 of 14oz can artichokes in water, reserving the water and a few artichokes for garnish
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • juice from 3/4 lemon
  • 2 small garlic cloves
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder (if you run out of garlic cloves like me)
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp tahini
Instructions
Place all ingredients in a food processor (this includes the water from the artichokes) and blend until well-combined.
Drizzle with high quality olive oil and garnish with fresh or dried parsley.
Serve with fresh vegetables or tortilla chips or even quinoa socca (since it's not chickpea related).

Powered by Recipage


For a hummus newbie, I think I did pretty good. I half expected that it would have actually been:
a) a waste of my chickpeas
b) something I would gag over but try to eat anyways for the sake of not wasting.



Obviously you can see my expectations are fairly low when trying something new! But, a life lesson I learned from this experience: don't be afraid to try new things...you might just surprise yourself!

Making my own hummus has actually fueled the fire. My next attempt will probably involve a lot of heat - that way if it doesn't turn out, my mouth will be half-paralyzed by peppers!

QUESTION: Any other hummus newbies out there? Or if you make it quite often, what are your favourite flavour combos?!