Wednesday, February 22, 2012

quick quinoa socca

What's a life lesson that you probably use everyday with or without realizing it? To make do with what you have.

No tape to hang the picture? Use gum.
No bowl for your cereal? Use a mug.
No scissors to cut the tag off your new shirt? Use your teeth.
No toothbrush? Use your finger.

Ok, just don't tell my mom about the last two.

This is where socca comes in. Since I had used up the rest of the rice from my previous lunch, I knew I wouldn't have any to use for dinner. But, I knew with the dish I was making, I would definitely need something to soak up the sauciness of it. Rice is normally my companion, but life lesson told me that I needed to make do with what I had, and that wasn't rice.



What do I have? Why couldn't I have just decided to have cereal for dinner instead...in a mug.


From my internal dialogue, it went from rice to bread to flatbread to socca. Only problem was I didn't have chickpea flour, either (aka socca's main ingredient). Life lesson almost told me to just suck it up, scrap sauce's soak-me-up partner and eat the dish as a stew, until I remembered something.



What about quinoa flour? I know I have some of that I-bought-it-because-it-sounded-cool-but-now-I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-it stuff. It could easily replace chickpea flour...right?

Lets just say it worked...like teeth through a price tag!

Quinoa Socca

by Char
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins











Ingredients (10 -15 (depending on size))
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp quinoa flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1.5 tbsp canola oil
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin
Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth consistency.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add some more oil and pour the batter into pan. Watch closely as it doesn't take long for one side to firm up. Keep flipping until desired texture and done-ness (I liked some a little crispy!).
Sprinkle with sea salt when socca is done.
Powered by Recipage








Ready in 5 minutes flat and delicious. That's what life lessons are all about.



And this, my friends, is how you make do while working out at home when you have none of the equipment (ie: equalizers, large box/steps) required to do the workout:

I call this one TV stand step-up.

Chair and mop bar pull-ups.

Equalizing abs without the equalizer.

I suppose it's better than using your finger to brush your teeth. ;)

Side note: this marks day 5 of working out in a row while off school!!!


QUESTION: What are some of the ways you "make do" with what you have??